Australia bars China’s Huawei from its 5G mobile network
SYDNEY — Australia took a cue from the U.S. by banning Chinese telecommunications firm Huawei Technologies Co. from its next-generation 5G mobile network, underscoring concerns about potential cyberspying by Beijing.
On Thursday, Australia’s government said companies that are “likely to be subject to extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law” wouldn’t be able to guarantee network security. The statement didn’t specifically mention Chinese companies, but Huawei said it was told that it and ZTE Corp. 0763, +4.26% were barred from the rollout.
“This is an extremely disappointing result for consumers,” Huawei Australia said on its verified Twitter account. “Huawei is a world leader in 5G. Has safely & securely delivered wireless technology in [Australia] for close to 15 years.”
Australian intelligence agencies had been pushing for Huawei to be blocked from the network, though recently there was speculation that a compromise could be reached. American officials raised concerns about the company with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in Washington earlier this year.
An expanded version of this report appears on WSJ.com.
Also popular on WSJ.com:
The exercise that helps mental health most.
What does knee surgery cost? Few know, and that’s a problem.
Get the top tech stories of the day delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to MarketWatch's free Tech Daily newsletter. Sign up here.
We Want to Hear from You
Join the conversation