The New York Post: ‘Troubled’ Florida school shooting suspect was a well-…

The New York Post: ‘Troubled’ Florida school shooting suspect was a well-…

‘Troubled’ Florida school shooting suspect was a well-known threat, classmates say

“A lot of people were saying it was going to be him.” Student, talking to WFOR-TV

The suspected gunman in Wednesday’s deadly school shooting in Florida is a “troubled” former student obsessed with firearms — who was once identified as a potential threat to his fellow classmates, according to a report.

“I stayed clear of him most of the time,” said one teen, who spoke to WSVN, but didn’t give his name.

“He’s been a troubled kid, and he’s always had a certain amount of issues going on,” the boy explained. “He shot guns because he felt it gave him, I guess, an exhilarating feeling. He showed me [his guns] personally through his phone.”

Read: These members of Congress take the most money from the gun lobby

The alleged shooter — identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19 — had even “joked” about taking out his schoolmates on several occasions, the student said.

“He played around with the joke multiple times,” the teen said. “You know, he knows the layout of the school. He can actually go ahead and he can pinpoint where all the students would be. He’s been through the drills multiple times.”

Opinion: More security measures won’t stop mass shootings in schools

Cruz had been banned from carrying a backpack on the campus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., due to his alleged issues, the Miami Herald reports.

“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” math teacher Jim Gard, who taught Cruz last year, told the newspaper.

“There were problems with him last year threatening students,” he said. “I guess he was asked to leave campus.”

"Everyone predicted it," a student said about the #Parkland shooting. pic.twitter.com/mbzBIw8iUa

— Vic Micolucci WJXT (@WJXTvic) February 14, 2018

According to Gard, school officials had sent out an email last year — warning teachers about Cruz and the alleged threats he was making against other students.

Broward County School District Superintendent Robert Runcie, however, says this didn’t happen.

“We received no warnings,” he told reporters Wednesday during a press conference.

“Potentially there could have been signs out there,” he said. “But we didn’t have any warning or phone calls or threats that were made.”

Cruz’ classmates insist, though, that he was a well-known threat to the school.

“A lot of people were saying it was going to be him,” a student told WFOR-TV.

This report originally appeared on NYPost.com.

Also see on NYPost.com: Alleged Florida shooter appeared to flaunt weapons on Instagram

Related Topics

  • New York City

Original Article